Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Diet, is a funny old thing, nobody can actually agree on what constitutes a good diet anyway... Many would consider white bread to be part of a lousy diet, many wouldn't...etc. HiCarb, LoCarb...
This is something I try to stress, and I don't believe that many people get it, or want to believe that its correct:

Through all the research I've done - every article, study, research review, etc. have all lead me to strongly believe in one thing; 99% of the shit you read about, and people worry about, doesn't really f*cking matter. Period. In my honest opinion, good nutrition is very simple.

If your focus is...

- Consuming an appropriate amount of calories to maintain a healthy bodyweight
- Ensuring the bulk of your food is unprocessed
- Consuming several servings of fruits and vegetables daily
- Taking in some amount of dairy products
- Consuming an adequate amount of protein
- Consuming an adequate amount of healthy fats (variety)
- Have a diverse diet! (fish, nuts, oils, beans, etc.)
(I'm sure I'm forgetting a few basics but you get the point)

... the little things in between aren't going to any meaningful value. You won't be able to take in excessive amounts of carbs (or anything like that) if this criteria is met. However it will leave room for the little joys in life.

If all that is followed; a little bag of Doritos, or ice cream at night, or a beer or whatever... None of it will mean shit as long as you live within those means. And none of those things can define a healthy or unhealthy diet under those conditions because their overall impact is so insignificant.

Yes, it really is that simple. And yes, I read/studied this crap for years - panicked over little details and all that - just to find out that almost everything I read wasn't really applicable or even meaningful.

Last edited by Shadowschmadow; 01-19-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Shadowschmadow is offline   Reply With Quote