View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Yeah this certainly isn't pain related. I never push past tweaks or strains...ever. No exceptions. I shut down workouts if there is any concern.

I will add that it can be easy to read into an article like this and assume it carries with it some excess amount of machismo or call towards lunacy. I personally don't see it like that. "Not" training hard usually involves:

1) Avoiding the most potent lifts, or looking for an easier way.
2) Having no defined progression scheme.
3) Having no drive or sense of urgency.
4) Not facing mental challenges.

There is certainly nothing wrong with being a recreational lifter who exercises for health. There is certainly nothing wrong with not having the drive to deadlift 600. Personal goals are personal goals, end of story.

With all that said, when someone is training hard they can overcome a lot of dieting and nutritional deficiencies.

Just check out any forum that has a high population of guys spinning their wheels. A high percentage of them are obsessing about nutrition and have structured plans. But when it comes to training most of them don't have a progression plan, are using a lot of fluff exercises, and many of them are looking for ways to avoid the hardest exercises.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links