SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

Refinancing the home makes sense -- makes a lot of sense. Generally if you can save 1% or more in interest you'll save in the long run (remember, there are closing costs and the like to worry up front). My wife & I refinanced last summer and went from a 25-year note (20 years remaining) at 5.8% to a 10-year note at 3.375%. Our payments went up somewhat, but we also cut our remaining time in half and now we're paying LOT less in interest.

So if you're planning on refinancing the house, I'd seriously consider refinancing to a shorter term note where your payments will be about the same as what they are now. Generally the shorter the term of your mortgage, the lower your interest rate is going to be.

Now if you're planning on refinancing for a lower monthly payment and using that saved cash to buy a car, that does make sense. However, if you are planning on refinancing with cash out to buy the new car -- DON'T. Why would you want to finance a car (which will depreciate rapidly over the first 2-3 years) and finance it for the same term as your house?
Valentin Konstantin Platz
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote