View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

That's exactly what I did with my son; We started with working on squat form, then we moved to bodyweight squats, and then progressed into goblet squats. I start him with a box to drill the form and then remove the box later so he can do them on his own. At each new phase I reintroduce the box as it is a confidence booster but remove it when he gets the new lift figured out. Once he was able to do 30+ bodyweight squats with good form, I started him on goblet squats by holding a 6 lb medicine ball. From there we've been slowly increasing the load.

Probably next off-season I'll move him from goblet squats to the Trap Bar. I think the Trap Bar will be a nice tool for him to start pulling more progressively in a safe environment. Eventually I will have him back squatting, but probably not until he's around 13 years old. Until then his main strength builders will be the sled and the Prowler as I believe those are the safest and easiest to recover from.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote