Thread: Multivitamins
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Different opinion from me. I would say no, unless you have a very restricted or unbalanced diet, you absolutely don't need one.

I speak as someone who took multivits for years, swallowing (along with the capsules) the standard marketing line that it's a sort of 'insurance', in case you're missing something. When I stopped taking them, I experienced a modest increase in my disposable ncome and no other effects.

I now wouldn't touch multivits with a barge-pole. Some very large, well-designed studies have found increased cancer rates from quite a modest increase in supplemental vitamin A. Supplemental anti-oxidants looked like a good bet for preventing cancer (which is why the researchers looked at them), but when the results were in, they showed otherwise. These harmful effects were shown in smokers, so it might not be safe to extrapolate to non-smokers, but I think it shows that they're not necessarily benign substances/

I think it would be alarmist to call vitamin supplements dangerous. BUT I would go with the Cochrane Review (the best plain-language science/medicine reviews around): 'No evidence that they do anything beneficial. Some evidence that under certain circumstances, they may cause harm.'

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote