Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Or more broadly, an example of the Hawthorne effect - increased productivity as a result of more monitoring (self-monitoring in this case) and a change - any sort of change.
Absolutely, that has to be a factor also. A big factor as we always say is you gotta believe in what you're doing. A big change initiates positive feelings and motivation.

Quote:
The Sheiko routines are interesting. As far as I remember, they don't flip into higher percentages - it's 70s-80s all the way and some are following these year round.
You're right in that they don't have to flip into higher percentages. Some will just cycle the volume blocks continuously. Not sure I like the idea of that, maxes are a little too planned.

Mentally it has it's toll as well, if maxing is this massive event in a yearly schedule that is a lot of pressure. Also not a lot of practice at lifting heavy either. Not an approach i'd like anyway, I like being able to pull/push maxes most weeks of the year.

Interesting points raised here, I wouldn't mind trying to implement some lighter work in some blocks. Perhaps some singles or doubles for 10+ sets timed. One of the sets/reps approaches I use is based on Prilepin:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/prilepins_chart.htm

In that I will do 6 triples at around 70-80%. I tend to vary that approach with the daily max + back offs. It's not something i've done consiously it just seems to have come about organically. Some days I may do the triples, other days I may do the daily max + back offs. Ultimately I think they both have a part to play in recent lifting PRs. I did play around with the idea of blocks devoted to triples and blocks devoted to the daily max + back offs but I tend to go by whatever I feel like doing, which works better.

Last edited by Fazc; 01-16-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote