View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

My experience varies depending on lifts. Squats for example I hammered away at 80% for nearly the last 3 years and made absolutely zero progress. Bench Press I spent the last 2+ years training around 80-85% and added maybe 10-15 pounds to my total. I did a lot of sets around these percentages for both lifts. A lot. Didn't help me a bit.

Deadlifts are a different story. Last year I dropped 80% work and focused only on 20 rep sumo sets for quite a long time. When I came back to conventionals I started to destroy PRs like crazy. My max went up my about 60 pounds in 6 months and I didn't work above 80% until the final month or two before my meet. I will add that I starting using a ton of speed work during this time, and began attacking the bar, and I think this was a major contributing factor ion my progress. Also, perhaps the rep work helps my glute and hamstring weaknesses.

My opinion on 90% work has changed a lot this year due to personal experience. I have made better progress in 14 weeks on bench and squat using more frequent 90% work than I did in years without it. I am not educated enough on all of these programs to comment much. I have read them and know what their percentages look like, but have never tried them.

I will say that I believe some form of 90% work is needed once you hit hard walls. How frequently this is required, I am not certain of yet.

I also want to add that there are other variables at play in some of these programs...frequency, volume and with some overreaching.

Korte, if I remember correctly, starts with high frequency and moves towards intensity. I believe in Phase II it adds heavier work on Fridays.

Stephan Korte?s 33 Powerlifting Program - Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building.

Coan-Phillipi adds 85% work fairly early in the cycle.

My only point is that Sheiko and Korte introduce variables other than intensity. And I think both Coan and the Ortmayer program have you with some 85% work on week 2 or 3. I think the Ortmayer has 90% at week 2, correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway...just floating out some info and random thoughts.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote