Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

No kick in the ass from me.

I agree with MC in that it can be treated with NSAIDS. A certain amount of inflammation will occur from any exercise, frequent exercise of course exacerbates that. However regular use of NSAIDS does bring it's own issues with the stomach lining and can cause potential problems if relied on.

What I would suggest, and what I am also doing as I'm not confident with my own Squat form, is to reduce the number of days that you actually Back Squat and fill in the other days with variations that do not hurt. For me that works out currently to Squat, GM and Partial Squat. As my form becomes smoother I will Squat more often and do less work on the main lift.

I don't believe form is the only contributor to pain in frequent lifting, exercise is of course damaging in the short-term, but form is certainly the one thing we could all stand to improve and that improvement leads to benefits in being able to squat more often. With that in mind a friend mine recently suggested Goblet Squat Holds as a good way to introduce weighted stretching which should improve form and lead to healthier knees.

Finally, and this is just conjecture based on experience, stronger hamstrings would lead to healthier knees.

So:

1) NSAIDS used sparingly.

2) Variations in the short-term.

3) Long term improvement in form, smoother execution.

4) Strengthening hamstrings specifically. This could be GMs taking the place of Squats on one day a week.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote