Old 01-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank View Post

If a program does not inflict enough stress to require a deload, does the program's efficiency become questionable?
No.

I didn't deload until this year. I wasn't someone that pushed into overreaching. It did bring limitations around a 565 deadlift and 500 squat for me, but until that point I didn't need it.

My progression was slow but steady. I never worked at 90% plus and built most of my strength in the 5 to 8 rep range. My only point is that if you listen to your body and aren't pushing 90% plus range, you can progress without needing many, if any, deloads.

Quite frankly I see far too many people deloading when they really don't need to deload. They have a bad workout and think it requires a week off.

Fazc and Ryano gave you some good advice. I can only add that if the program isn't fun for you, change it. Despite all the mumbo jumbo on the Internet, lifting is pretty simple and the core of great workouts aren't that different.

The method of progression and frequency are usually the defining aspect of a program for beginners and intermediates. Beyond that you are pretty much using the same exercises in similar rep ranges.

If you want options, I would be glad to give you more than a few that will work.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote