tank
Max Brawn
Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: Rookie
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Food
tank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributor
Question When is it time to move on?

I'm working through intermediate levels now using Madcow's 5x5 Intermediate program, and having read several books concerning trainees' phases of advancement and following the training of many lifters on MAB I find myself wanting the opinions of you all about indicators a lifter should move forward in his training.

Off the top of my head, I'll share what I think I know to be true and how it applies.

1) Goals are established
2) Program is established using simplest method of progression applicable to lifter's adaptation (level of advancement)
3) If measurable progress toward goals is being made, make no change
4) If measurable progress is not being made, re-evaluate training, diet, rest
5) If regression is occuring, evaluate diet, rest, and possibility of over-training

My problem lies with step 3, I guess. If a lifter is making measurable progress, it is not necessarily the best progress that can be reasonably (naturally) made during this length of time. Depending on the goals of the lifter, this progress may or may not be adequate/satisfying. Personally, if I'm not making the best progress possible in the shortest amount of time, I am literally wasting time and am unsatisfied.

I remember being told awhile ago, before reading much on what defined the advancement of a lifter, that there were certain weights-per-lift that indicated strength level and a need to move on. It was something like bench 1.5 times bodyweight, squat 2 times bodyweight, and deadlift 2.5 times bodyweight. Is this type of consideration useless? Can it apply to this timeline or dictate transition?

If a program does not inflict enough stress to require a deload, does the program's efficiency become questionable?

20 JAN 12 at 200 (90) BW - 385/275/405 (175/125/184) SQ/B/D

29 MAY 12 at 206 (93) BW - 135/175 (61/79) SN/CJ
tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links