View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #330
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymax View Post
Do 90% weights burn you out after 3 weeks as Simmons and Zatsiorsky claim? Does switching movement actually get around this or do you still need to have a deload week with lower intensity?

From a little reading it seems to me that WS claims rotating exercises eliminates this issue yet at the same time they do a light day every so many weeks? Hepburn, Ditillo, et all never claimed this to be the case but they didn't advocate going to 100% max singles either. What do we think about the whole thing?
From my understanding Hepburn would run the singles program until it beat him down too much and then go back to the "lighter" burden of triples.

Regarding 90% weights, I can only speak personally. With what I am doing there is no way I could train beyond 2 weeks @ 90% plus. Usually after 1.5 weeks I am ready for a deload because I feel very much beat down.

I have been at 90% twice per week since starting this program, with one of the days each week being a more light, but challenging, training day. Usually about 80% of 1RM.

So, after about 3 heavy workouts on a lift in 10-11 training days I feel ready to stop. My CNS might be beat down and/or my body feels like it was run over by a truck.

Westside focuses on only one heavy day per week, thus adding additional rest into the equation. (I use "only" lightly) It appears on the surface to me that using this approach I might (might) be able to train a lift 3 weeks in a row before needing a deload. Perhaps longer, but then the question becomes...is it doing any good after this point? I don't know.

I could see running Westside and structuring exercises in a certain pattern, changing them week to week to incorporate lifts that might not require me to deload. For example, I have a friend that cycles things like sumo good mornings, reverse band sumo deadlifts and sumo zercher squats from pins.

I probably haven't provided much of an answer here, but it does appear to me that if there was an intelligent approach to cycling exercises one could possibly prolong a cycle without stepping into the "overreaching" zone, which is really what we're taking about here I believe. Correct me if I am wrong.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote