Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwys61 View Post
Here is a consideration

Using the Westside method, it is "said" that a Dynamic Effort workout can always substitute for a Max Effort Workout. With that said, since Wendlers 5-3-1 is mainly a DE workout, with one Max Effort Day each cycle, you could Do Wendlers stuff on Westside ME Days and do Speed work with accomodating resistance on DE Days.
Sounds good. I really like the idea of speed/dynamic effort work on deload week since I don't see a point of going into the gym and lifting light weights for 5 reps./ I opt to stay home and sleep and rest, but if I am still feeling good, I think I will try chain and band work onto the deload%'s (with in reason)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwys61 View Post
programs are just templates. if you modify it, it doesn't ruin the program, you just make it more adaptable to that individual. yes, the program was written to be used "as is", but surely every individual who does it will see the same results
I agree. For me Wendler's 5/3/1 is a bit too simple for me in terms of CNS stimulation. It is designed for you to hit reps and get stronger through reps, however nothing substitutes for having some heavy weight on your hands or on your back. Don't get me wrong I love this training template,it follows the K.I.S.S. method to a T, but I have to alternate it one month on, one month off more or less to fit into my personal goals.

I think Wendler's 5/3/1 is the bare minimum a person should do, that is why I like it. If you don't lie on your percentages, even on your most crappiest unmotivated days you will hit the prescribed numbers.

I interpret westside as attacking your weakness', so if you have more in the tank,after your prescribed worksets I say go for adding in some extra stuff, but be calculating with what you add and don't over do it. However westside is also geared towards well geared lifting, so one who lifts raw should not kill themselves on that Principal.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote