View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 05:49 PM   #27
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
I apologize if what I said about Dan John's book came off as rude or confrontational.
I didn't take it that way.

Just remember that a lot of us old geezers grew up with limited information flow. Weider. Weider. Weider. Weider. Folks like Dan John who bring ideas and concepts that are foreign to us, and who present ideas that aren't broscience pseudo-babble, I feel are worthy to be added to this list.

I pulled many useful training concepts and approaches from Dan's book, including the one lift per day concept, the inclusion on hinge movements in programming, and the concept of if it's important, do it every day.

Dan also lead me to Pavel, and Pavel's book on bodybuilding which contains a myriad number of approaches that would be absolutely laughed at by parrots on any lifting forum across the web.

I would also say that there are a lot of Dan John concepts I use in my programming that might not be apparent to folks who aren't programming junkies.

Here is my personal litmus test on which books are important:

--Do they present ideas that counter and challenge decades of magazine tripe?
--Do they present concepts that are tested in the real world, and are not just broscience or theory?
--Do they open doors and get you to think about new ways of programming?

Some of you won't like everything on my list. I respect that. On the other hand, for every book on this list I have 10 sitting here that are absolute crap.

Dan John and John Christy and Anthony Ditillo might not be everyone's cup of tea, but when we look at common themes found in these books we are equipping ourselves with information that is desperately needed in the modern era.

Just several years ago when I joined M&S as the content manager the following names were completely foreign:

--Christy
--Rippetoe
--Wendler
--Simmons
--John
--Starr
--Butt
--Ditillo

I could go one and on, but suffice it to say that anything pre-1980, and anything that wasn't a 4 to 5 day split was seem as idiocy.

There is still a war being fought, and the books I recommend are merely tools that can equip lifters to battle the lingering Weiderism/buffet programming that exists on every corner of the web.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 12-30-2011 at 06:03 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote