MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Thye're different lifts. Treat them as different lifts. I have actually tried mixing front squats and back squats, as well as OHP and BNP. The problem is they fire different muscles in different ways and they are not good warmups to each other because the way your mind treats them is entirely different. and warmups are as much for your mind and nervous system (if not more so!) than your muscles, the difference is noticeable. And when the weights get big, it is intolerable.

For example, I thought since front squats were less weight, and I wanted to do them, they would be a good warmup for back squats. Well, that is somewhat true when you are very first starting out with relatively minimal weights.

But when you are ramping up to a max effort back squat with some max effort front squats, you will not actually be ready for those back squats as the mechanisms are different. So, it doesn't matter what you want, you have to be ready for what you are about to do, and if it's heavy, you better be really damn ready.

Bottom line, I'm not an expert by any means, but I believe all lifts are different and should be treated as such.

In a 5x5 format, I would do the max back squat, Front squat, then medium back squat in an HLM format. Same with OHP. I'd max OHP, then BNP, then Push press or something like that if you wanted variation.

As always, though. What are your goals? Do you want to be strong at a particular thing? Then do that particular thing. If you just want general overall strength in everything, then do lots of different things regularly.

Hope that helps!
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote