View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #10
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Chicken every day Homie!
BigJosh is an elite memberBigJosh is an elite memberBigJosh is an elite memberBigJosh is an elite memberBigJosh is an elite memberBigJosh is an elite memberBigJosh is an elite memberBigJosh is an elite memberBigJosh is an elite memberBigJosh is an elite memberBigJosh is an elite member

I've read and believe that a belt gives your abs something to press against. Therefore increasing the amount of intra abdominal pressure. As a result there is increased core/lower back/ab support (as opposed to not wearing a belt). This is how I believe Rippetoe explains it, this is how I've seen others explain it.
How do you know when do you need one? I am of the opinion that you need one when you are squatting or deadlifting heavy enough that you feel you need the extra support. And I am of the opinion that when it will be needed will be different for everyone.
Rippetoe also explains that the whole idea that your core or abs strengthen harder/faster/better without a belt as opposed to with a belt is untrue.

I'm just explaining what I've read and what my opinion is. I use the belt on my heavy squat and deadlift sets because it makes sense to me to do so. It may or may not be the same for someone else.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.

Last edited by BigJosh; 12-28-2011 at 09:18 PM.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote