Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I think the guys have covered it, my 2 (more) cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank View Post
so are you suggesting that bodyfat will have more impact on your appearance of muscularity than rep/set schemes?
Absolutely. Excess bodyfat will blur your lines and make you appear less defined and less muscular. Less bodyfat increases the V-Taper, definition and makes the muscles more pronounced.

Lot's of muscle across the body means you can carry a little more fat and still look athletic.

Being muscularly large AND lean is the key to looking ridiculous.

Quote:
it is my understanding that the low rep for strength, high rep for hypertrophy has been pretty universally accepted. am i incorrect?
It is not universally accepted no. It is mostly an american acceptance of theory. Sarcoplasmic/Sarcomeric distinctions aren't as accepted in UK/Europe.

Quote:
like you said, someone that can lift very heavy weight may not "appear" to be able to do so because of this. also, the lifter that is very muscular, no matter his bodyfat, may not be as strong. considering this is what let me to ask my original question.
You really can't compare this on a person-to-person basis. I can't say that one person will be stronger because he's bigger than another. What is universally true is that the stronger YOU (the individual) get the bigger you will be. Providing the gain of strength is substantial enough to see a difference.

Bottom line; assuming all else is equal if you move from a 200 Bench to a 300 Bench you'll see a massive increase in muscle. Go from a 300 Bench to a 400 one and you'll see another large jump in muscle mass.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote