View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

The original Starting Strength include cleans and deadlift which target the upper back, so are far as balance I am ok with this. I personally don't advocate barbell rows to novices. It's a lift that can add stress to the lower back, and with a novice using both squats and deadlifts I would prefer to allow those 2 to strengthen the back for a while.

Many of Rippetoe's programs include pullups.

I certainly see no issue with adding pullups or possibly one arm dumbbell rows to basic programs like these. I just don't want a novice to add barbell rows until they spend a few months strengthening their lower back.

With that said, if a novice had a strong lower back and was seeing little direct stress from squats and deadlifts I probably would have to issue with the use of barbell rows.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 12-27-2011 at 02:49 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote