View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Confidence and Heavy Weight

This might sound like a trivial topic but it's not. Over the years I have learned the value of having confidence when moving heavy weight.

Forget how heavy the weight feels. You have to approach eccentrics and the rep in the same way as everything else. I am not calling for you to get reckless, but I am telling you not to get overly conservative.

At times I have babied a rep because of ankle soreness, tendinitis, fear or because of a strain I incurred 3 weeks ago that I am afraid of. When I baby a rep it almost always comes back to bite me in the back end.

If you are going to perform the heavy rep, do so with confidence. If you can't, don't do the rep. That last part is key. If you don't feel like you can perform the rep in a confident manner, don't do the rep.

This isn't about bravado. It's common sense. I never perform a rep if I can't perform it safely. If I fear an old strain, I won't do a rep.

I hope this makes sense...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links