View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Yep, but don't all steroids basically have the same effects? I don't know much about them and the differences, in that sense.
Not really. 'Steroid' is just a generic description of a certain chemical structure - I forget exactly what it is - but I'm pretty sure it's shared by a number of different types of compound with quite different physiological effects.

Corticosteroids, like the glucocorticoids, are produced by the adrenal cortex (hence the name). They are produced all the time, but increase in response to stressors. They have a whole bunch of metabolic effects, but one of their key medical uses relates to their strong immunosupressive effects. They're powerful anti-inflammatories: I suffered from an eyelid inflammation called blepharitis for years - a single course of corticosteroids got rid of it; ditto my Mum's eczma (sp?)

Steroids classed as 'anabolic androgenic steroids' are produced primarily by the gonads, though confusingly, the adrenal glands can produce rather large amounts of them too. In addition to their effects on primary and secondary sexual characterisitcs, they have whole slew of protein-synthesis effects that, as far as I'm aware,don't have any equivalence in corticosteroids.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote