View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #86
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Speaking of the Horror genre, there is a little known book that I have been waiting to read for quite some time and just may pull the trigger for 2012.

Montana Gothic Montana Gothic

A couple reviews...

Quote:
Since I first ran across this book more than 20 years ago, I've had a consuming desire to meet the author. I want to ask him what motivated this strange, unclassifiable work. It may be of more interest to someone who was raised in Montana, who can appreciate the dark side that Van Sickle captured in a uniquely eerie way, but even without a personal connection to the landscape of the book, it is an unforgettable read. I'm thrilled to see it back in print, and hope it gets more attention this time around.
Quote:
Overlooked Masterpiece

This twisted tale starts in the early 20th Century and its style is so appropriate that the ending comes as a real blow although expected and inevitable. The tale goes on from there, through the decades and inevitable is the keynote. This book should be taught in colleges as it is the perfect use of prose to wring our minds with truly profound horror. Not ghosts or goblins, but the real horror of mortality and fate. And yet we want to read it again, or talk about it -- like Poe, like Faulkner, it brings us into areas we hadn't considered, but which are surely there for all of us. I'll never forget this book, but it may not be for everyone. I read that the author died last year; what a tombstone to leave behind! Truly an overlooked masterpiece in our literature.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote