View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #83
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

I've just finished Bram Stoker's Dracula. I enjoyed it in patches. The construction, as a series of interlocking reports and diary entries, was clever and intriguing, but the constant justification of this device - "I must try to recall every detail of what has passed" - quickly became wearing.

I found too, that I was overfamiliar with the story. Having seen a gazillion adaptations, I knew what was coming, and this undercut the carefully ramped up tension. At 450 pages, I couldn't help feeling that it could have been trimmed by a good one hundred pages without damaging the central story and themes.

Except for a couple of places, the sexual subtext that I was expecting was almost absent. Maybe it was just too subtle for me to detect.

All in all, a necessary read, but probably not one I'll repeat.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote