View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #29
Shaolinkiwi
Ground Zero Training
Max Brawn
Points: 3,328, Level: 35 Points: 3,328, Level: 35 Points: 3,328, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Shaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
Deadlifts 15x1
465x5x1
485x5x1
465x3x1
425x2x1

This was the hardest deadlift workout I have ever done, my back is on fire right now and I am not looking forward to tomorrow morning. This was crazy intense.

Standing Overhead Press
155x10x3
And your still alive to tell the tale

Good stuff J.

On your military press have you ever tired half presses to help increase your max. Sounds strange I know Dr. Squat (Fred Hatfield) did a write up on it.

What do you guys think??

From Dr.Squat:

Despite its popularity among bodybuilders, I'm "mildly" opposed to this exercise for at least two reasons. First, assuming that you wish to do "complete" presses to lockout, seated dumbbell presses accomplish the same thing without the same "interference" from having to "crunch" your upper back muscles in order to get the bar down to your neck. Having to contract your rhomboids, trapezius III and IV, and your posterior deltoids only serves to limit the amount of adaptive stress being delivered to your middle deltoids.

Secondly, after the bar has passed the top of your head, your deltoids are no longer the prime movers in the movement. The deltoids are statically contracting at that point, and the serratus anterior and triceps muscles take over to finish the press to lockout.
Actually, you can press much more weight to a head height position than you can press completely overhead. The reason for this is that your middle deltoids are much stronger than the combined strength of your triceps and serratus. Does it not therefore make more sense to use a heavier weight and do "partial presses?" I think it does, and the simple reason is that it will deliver a greater adaptive stress to your middle delts.

T-Alpha Log - CURRENT
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sup...alpha-log.html

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me 1500+! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!
Shaolinkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote