View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #16
Casey Butt
New Brawn
Points: 3,198, Level: 34 Points: 3,198, Level: 34 Points: 3,198, Level: 34
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Casey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by abett07 View Post
Given the technical nature of these lifts can they provide good results with both size and strength to justify the extra effort required to learn the lifts ?
Certainly yes. The Oly lifts are among the very best for growth in the traps and back in particular.

Quote:
and can the olympic lifts still be used in a routine with lifts such as squats,deadlifts,benches ,presses without over training ?
A huge yes. In fact, all of those lifts are and were used as integral parts of most Oly lifters development. The Overhead Press actually was an Olympic lift until 1972. In fact, I initially "discovered" full body training myself as a consequence of my earlier foray into Olympic Lifting. It's practically impossible to sensibly include the Oly lifts as part of a split routine because they stress so much of the body. I couldn't separate the stress of the Oly lifts from any other major muscle groups so the only real option was to do them as part of full body training ...as practically every decent Oly training program ever constructed does. So not only would I say that the Oly lifts can be used in a full body routine, I would be reluctant to say that you can work them efficiently any other way.

You'll find that proper form on Oly style pulls overlaps less than you might expect with Squats and Deadlifts because the lifts are so quick and there's very little negative. Likewise, the overhead motions (jerks, power jerks, etc) are so quick that there's really not a great recovery burden placed on the shoulder girdle. Because of that you'll find Oly work typically doesn't take nearly as long to recover from as slower lifts like Squats, Deads and Bench Presses, and you can perform them more often without too much worry about conflicting with other exercises. On an Oly program it's more of a balancing act to ensure than Squats, Deads and Presses don't conflict with themselves and cut into your speed on the Oly lifts.
Casey Butt is offline   Reply With Quote