View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #12
Casey Butt
New Brawn
Points: 3,198, Level: 34 Points: 3,198, Level: 34 Points: 3,198, Level: 34
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Casey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributor

I'm not aware of Reeves ever using a 5x5 scheme - that was Park's baby. Park was probably even the true originator of it (though people before him definitely used sets of 5 reps, Park may have been the first to "formalize" the 5 sets of 5 scheme).

Reeves has been citing that routine as his "Mr Universe" routine since the early 1950s, in both his own book(s) and the magazines since then. The Weider magazines claimed in the early 1950s that Reeves did only ONE set per exercise on that routine, but Reeves maintained that he did 3 sets of each exercise (sometimes 4 sets on the leg exercises) for years ...so who really knows for sure. Reeves may have been trying to sound "modern" by claiming he did more than one set, but by that time multiple sets were the norm, so I don't see a reason to not believe him ...the Weider magazines were notoriously misleading and self-serving back then, so I'd hardly trust them completely either.

Last edited by Casey Butt; 12-07-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Casey Butt is offline   Reply With Quote