View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #7
Casey Butt
New Brawn
Points: 3,198, Level: 34 Points: 3,198, Level: 34 Points: 3,198, Level: 34
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Casey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributorCasey Butt is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by abett07 View Post
going to change from SS to the steve reeves workout from this site starting satarday, power cleans are giving me some trouble on SS.I plan to stay with this workout for a minimun of 12 months
In that case, you'll almost certainly have to implement some form of periodization over that routine as well. As Kitarpyar said, Reeves didn't follow that routine indefinitely ...though he did appear to push it fairly hard for a stint before the 1951 Mr. Universe. This was used to build up to a peak by Reeves, after a long period of many months of no weight training at all. Personally, I wouldn't expect to get 12 months from that routine.

Quote:
when I have a choice between barbell and dumbbell is one better or is it just a personal choice ?
Generally, I'd say barbell, particularly for beginners. But at the more experienced level dumbbell versions often become preferred by some people ...usually for pressing, curling and sometimes rowing. Everyone develops preferences in time, but barbells are generally the better bet for beginners and as a general rule ...with exceptions not entirely uncommon for more experienced lifters. Even then, with personal tendencies considered, one is rarely so superior to the other that you can completely forsake one for the other - it's usually a matter of biasing your training cycles to favour barbells or dumbbells, but rarely completely and forever. IMO, most people would be best off to "make friends" with both and use them for cycles according to their personal preferences/strengths and goals, with beginners starting out with barbells as their base and introducing dumbbells gradually.

Quote:
can I perform the dips so that they are 50/50 chest and triceps ?
It's impossible to know when you're using 50/50 of anything, but as a general rule more pecs are "involved" as you move your elbows out from your body; elbows in = triceps, elbows out = pecs. Of course, nothing is really that cut and dried, but that will give you a ballpark idea of what to expect. Depending on how they're done, Dips can be a very effective pec exercise, or nearly all triceps.
Casey Butt is offline   Reply With Quote