View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

The squat isn't a leg press. You need to move maximal weight with good form and that starts with "butt up, hips forward" from the hole. If you do this with about a shoulder width stance you will build quality quad size over time.

The squat is a compound lift and should not be turned into an isolation (quads only) lift. This is dangerous thinking. The squat was never meant to be performed using only one muscle group. This is fringe bodybuilding thinking and wrong.

Just because you are using the hips, glutes and hamstrings doesn't mean your quads won't get big. You squat 500 with a shoulder width stance and you will have bigger quads, I guarantee it.

70% of ultra wide stance squat videos on the Internet are of powerlifters training in squat suits that make this stance beneficial. 20% of ultra wide stance squat videos are lifters trying to mimic these lifters without the use of a squat suit, not knowing any better. The other 10% might have valid reasons, but may be training for strength only.

There are some powerlifters who do not train in gear that use a wide stance, but for 99% of us looking to build leg mass there is no reason to squat wide.

Also, I don't recall saying my legs were bigger than Ronnie's. If I did it was humor, or a comment about the obesity problem in Wisconsin.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 12-02-2011 at 06:22 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote