Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
So, I shouldn't do any bicep work because I can't do a chin-up? But I've had great bicep progress by doing dumbbell work. The problem is in assuming that people can do chin-ups which is seldom the case (and I can't anyway due to the TOS, which is beside the point) and for those that can't, there is nothing wrong with curls, or for those that can for that matter.

If a person states, don't do A until you can do X-number of exercise B, if a person can never do B then A always suffers and they will get nowhere at all.
I'm not saying someone shouldn't be allowed to do direct arm work unless they strengthen OTHER muscles first. In fact, it doesn't get much better than chins and dips for arm development. What I'm saying is that someone shouldn't NEED direct arm work until they've reached these milestones in their training.

Doing curls and triceps extensions when you can't yet do chins and dips is like using bands, chains, and partials your first day in the gym. It's not needed yet and I'd consider it a waste of time and effort.

Of course, people are free to do what they will, and being in the gym at all is better than doing nothing.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote