View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
My "rules" for direct arm work is that you shouldn't do any direct biceps work until you can do 10 chin ups, and you shouldn't do direct tricep work until you can either do 10 dips or bench your bodyweight 10 times. In trying to reach those bench marks you're going to develop great arms, and once you reach those points you should add in some direct work to take them to the next level. When you get there, there's nothing wrong with curls for the biceps, but remember that triceps like HEAVY lifting. Low rep close grip bench is just about as good as it gets for triceps size, but you also want to do something overhead to hit it from a different angle.
So, I shouldn't do any bicep work because I can't do a chin-up? But I've had great bicep progress by doing dumbbell work. The problem is in assuming that people can do chin-ups which is seldom the case (and I can't anyway due to the TOS, which is beside the point) and for those that can't, there is nothing wrong with curls, or for those that can for that matter.

If a person states, don't do A until you can do X-number of exercise B, if a person can never do B then A always suffers and they will get nowhere at all.