View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I think you could make great progress on all 3 programs, but I would like to see you testing yourself as much as possible right now. I think your deadlift has room to grow, your bench has a good base, and your squats are only a bit away from that 315 mark. (Which is a good place to be)

You will get some varying opinions, and they will be good choices. Here's mine...I would like to see you attempting some form of semi-linear progression, but keeping it goal driven.

Instead of adding weight every week like Madcow, or adding weight every month like Wendler, I would like to see you get into the trenches and grind out a group of sets with the same weight, using a target rep goal.

This allows you to push yourself and only focus on "one more rep" per set. You will climb the strength ladder, but at the pace your body wants to climb at any given workout. This is how I trained, and I am rather partial to it.

Pick a weight for a lift...say squats. Perform 3 sets using this weight, stopping the sets when you feel like form is going to heck. When you can perform 20-25 reps total for the 3 sets, add weight the next time in the gym.

The rep goal "number" can be lift specific and tailored to each lift.

This could be structured into an upper/lower or 3 day fullbody. Or even a 2 day per week Christy approach.

What I like about this style of training is that every set/rep counts, and you have defined goals. You add weight when you can, focusing on the very short term goal (the next set) instead of the next heavy day which might be 3 weeks away.

Just one man's opinion. There are many ways to cross the river. Ultimately you are the only one that can decide which suits your needs best.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote