View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #11
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abett07 View Post

what do you guys think is the better lift power cleans or barbell rows ?
Depends on your goals really.
Power cleans are superior for developing functional explosive strength. Power cleans require more muscle groups and parts of the body to work together to perform the lift, something that for sport, performance and overall strength development is very important.
Furthermore Rippetoe claims that Power Cleans are the Yin to Deadlifts yang. Meaning that the explosive lift of power cleans will directly help the deadlift.

Having said all that, if your goal is strictly to build upper back mass and strength, bb rows are the way to go. I am of the opinion that there is no better upper back mass builder. The rows are to the back as the bench press is to the chest. BB rows are also effective for upper back strength.

Really, when it comes down to it, these are 2 different lifts that I feel can't really be compared. They both serve a different yet valuable purpose.
That is just my opinion on the matter.
I will leave you with this to think about. In Bill Starr's book "The Strongest Shall Survive", he says If you could only do one lift, out of all the lifts, that Power Cleans would be the lift you want to do. I butchered that quote, but you get the point......

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links