View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #120
Pull14
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I'm sceptical about it being to do with an imbalance at least for me, I've just come off some 3-4 years of very consistent, balanced training. I've done imbalanced routines in the past as well and I've never had a problem with it. So I don't think a few weeks off would cause those kind of issues.
I know it may not necessary be the reason for joint pain, just something I've seen other lifters mention and something that has helped me out personally (have always had joint issues even before I began lifting). But yeah... regardless, moving heavy stuff frequently will wear down the joints.

For the bench example above, I personally think that would provide much more manageable work if the singles are to much. If you like doing many singles, maybe have a 1-2 days of heavy singles and the rest work up to an "easy" max and down for doubles. With the amount of weekly training time, there just so many possibilities that can work well. EDIT: Just saw your log, looks good!

To Steve's "what's to little, whats to much" on a 2 week + 1 deload, that I believe would require some experimentation. Not only is the answer determined by the individual's work capacity but also how well the lifter handles high intensity lifts AND the true intensity of those singles.

Inline with experimentation to discover what is to much or to little, I think you'd want to find how much is to much and back down a little from there. For that you'd have to keep an eye on residual fatigue creeping into the start of the 2nd cycle. First sign would be the warm ups to the heavier singles feels like complete crap. Second would be poor performance on the heavier singles from the get-go. If a lifter can make 9 singles at say 400lbs... there shouldn't be ANY issue with the first few singles at 405. Likewise performance would drop as the rest of week 1-cycle 2 rolls out (increasing difficulty in warm up, first singles of session are even harder).

If the lifter has overstepped recovery, the next cycle could start back at 400 with fewer singles or start at 385-390 with the prescribed number of singles. Also to put this into context, this would be for non-auto-regulation: weights lifted are somewhat determined at the start and to come to

My little spin on Steve's 2+1 (2 week of singles, 1 week deload)...

Lifter does 2 - 3 weeks of high frequency with a combination of doubles, triples, and possibly a few 5's. At the end of the 2-3 week phase, the 2+1 begins. The weight used for the singles on the 2+1 would start with whatever the triples were in the final week of the build up. 2+1 would be run for several cycles until a point comes where finishing the last few singles is just BRUTAL. From there a deload and restart with a slightly heavier build up cycle.

Gets the lifter accustom to lifting at a higher intensity but in different rep ranges (builds up to the singles), but also allows him some time away from the +90% intensity range before and between cycles of heavy singles - some additional "recovery" after overstepping recovery in the final week of mucho singles. *This is for non-auto-regulation where the lifts are somewhat predetermined.

I haven't completely thought this out, so take it as a rough-rough-rougher draft or just something to line the litter box.

Last edited by Pull14; 11-22-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote