View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #114
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
obviously assuming intensity is worked into over a period of time.
That's how I see it. It's certainly not something to walk into. I've run a Hepburn style 8 x 3 with 405 squats and it took some time to build into it.

Pavel's book has a similar program, but I forget the lift. The lift is performed every day, but adding a rep.

Regarding upper body work, I would not disagree that many/most don't handle it well. I have run presses 5 days in a row with weekends off, doing both an OHP and bench on both days and my shoulders actually felt better.

I don't think I could attempt frequent heavy benching without a Sling Shot, but with it I believe it to be personally viable.

Deadlifts...There are many that don't believe in frequent heavy deadlifts, so on the surface an approach like this would seem silly. But there are some folks like myself and Tom Martin who handle frequent deadlifting very well.

So my point is that with any program like this it is very lifter specific. Advanced lifters have unique needs and this example probably wouldn't serve many of them well at all.

Perhaps for bench and OHP, because progression is slower, the workouts could be trimmed in half and progression of reps take place over a 6 week period instead of a 3. 5, 6 and 7 during the first 3 weeks. 8, 9 and 10 during the next 3 weeks. Stagger OHP and bench so one block is bench intense, the next OHP intense.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-21-2011 at 10:00 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote