View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcjha View Post
Then for the reason I began to develop a real love for the gym, but liked to do short intense workouts, switched to working out everyday. Yeah, I know, stupid.
We've all been there. After a year of successful training (long ago) I tried an Arnold variation which was 3 on, 1 off. It beat up my body real bad because I was pushing so hard, and I quickly found out it simply wasn't needed.

Quote:
It brings me great joy to know I could get a reply from you, BTB. I think your real name is Steve, but I could be mistaken.
Yes, Steve Shaw.

Quote:
It will also bring you great joy to know that I don't like doing isolation movements. My bodyparts I hate to train are biceps and calves.
In my experience that's a good thing. Overworking the biceps is a common programming flaw.

Quote:
I'm 5'10, turn 22 in January, and weigh 164.5.
Prime years. You are just a hair heavier than I was when I started.

Quote:
I have a coach who is advising me on diet and he is one of the best. His recommendations have been a leak bulk on 2300 calories, and 200 g of protein.
As long as you can gain weight I am ok with this. What we need to add to this mix is hard training.

Quote:
I strive to keep perform form on every rep, including mind-muscle connection, while still striving to put weight on the bar and db
A focus on form is excellent. Regarding the mind muscle connection, I am going to ask that you not worry about it for a while. I want to advise you to focus on only one thing, and one thing only during each set..."more reps." Do as many reps as possible, stopping each set when you feel like you may fail on the next rep, or with the big lifts if your form is going south.

Quote:
I still cannot do one proper power clean.
No problem. Not essential.

Quote:
as I feel my core is fully engaged on any compound lift
True, but I will add that they assist the big lifts. I find that weighted situps help my squat eccentric strength, which helps with form and performance. I respect if you don't want to do them. I did no abs work for 20 years and still made good progress. I will say though at some point down the road you should consider them.]

Lifting...

Because of your experience and age I think a 4 day upper/lower might serve you well. This is a basic template, nothing magical. The magic is in:

1) Persistence.
2) Progression.

Adjust the days as needed.

Monday - Upper
Tuesday - Lower
Thursday - Upper
Friday - Lower

Monday
Bench Press - 3 x 20 goal reps
Barbell Rows/Dumbbell Rows - 3 x 20 goal reps
Arnold Dumbbell Press or Seated DB Press - 3 x 20 goal reps
Close Grip Bench Press - 3 x 20 goal reps

Tuesday
Squats - 3 x 25 goal reps
Still Leg Deadlift - 2 x 20 goal reps (or Glute Ham Raise - 3 x 8-10 reps)
Calves
Dumbbell Curl - 3 x 25 goal reps (or chin ups - palms towards face - 3 x Max)
Abs

Thursday
Incline BP or Dumbbell Bench Press - 3 x 20 goal reps
Pull Ups - 3 x Max Reps
Seated or Standing Overhead Press Variation - 3 x 20 goal reps
Dips - 3 x Max Reps

Friday
Deadlift - 3 x 15 goal reps
Squats - 1 x 20
Calves
Barbell Curl - 3 x 25 goal reps (or chin ups - palms towards face - 3 x Max)
Abs

Goal reps are the total reps you are after for the 3 sets. For example, when you can perform 25 reps on squats with a given weight, add 5 pounds next week.

I also could recommend a 3 day per week fullbody if interested.

We could also add some work to this, but I would ease into things and run it as is for a while, say 4-6 months, just to get in the groove of progression of weight.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote