View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
Pull14
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank View Post
I think I want to go to school to become a strength coach and wanted to get some insight from people that may have experience in the field.

Do I want to do it? Why? Why not?

How do I go about it?

What should I do to prepare?

What type of careers could I expect?

Any other/additional information would be awesome! Thanks bros. rockon:
While I personally have not taken this route, I do have a few friends who have. Formal education is important, but not king. You'll pick up a lot of stuff going to school for it, but as with most jobs v. education, a degree opens more doors but doesn't guarantee a job or success in the field. IE: It looks good on a resume. Experience is the most important factor...

Besides formal education, read and listen to everyone who has made a good name for themselves in the business. There will be a lot of opposing ideas so its also important to realize where each idea stands (background of the coach and his/her experience) in relation to specific goals. Also don't rule any idea or method out completely; most have their place in huge variety of training methodologies.

Don't only focus on the cool parts of training/coach (technique, programming, getting strong), also absorb tons of material on recovery, nutrition, rehab/prehab, etc.

In regards to experience: get some! Develop your own training principles. In doing so you have to be honest with yourself and go with what works for yourself and others... not the current fad or something that looks good on paper.

Once you develop your own base of knowledge and personal experience, begin helping out others. Start small, technique, basic programming etc. Seek out people like friends or family who what help and coach them to some extent. This will help develop coaching experience.

Past that... look into coaching certifications (CSCS is among the most popular) and during your time at school, also keep an eye out for internships in the field. An internship will look good on paper but also give you some great experience while working under [hopefully] more experienced coaches.

Not to dissuade you, but realize its a tough field to get into and even harder to become successful in it. The days start early and end late, expect to be working most weekends too. Its not just tough to get into, but its an exhausting job...

-Joe Defranco and Zach Even-esh have a few youtube videos up on how they got started in the business which may be of some interest to you.

Last edited by Pull14; 11-14-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote