View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #29
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Can you use that bench as a squat stand? Not sure how high it goes...

Basic exercises are:

(There so not include Olympic lifts but could. I've never really used Olympic lifts so they're a bit beyond me)

Back...Deadlifts, Sumo Deadlifts, Pullups, Barbell Rows, Yates Rows, DB Rows, T-Bar Rows, One Arm T-Bar Rows.

(You can do T-bars with the barbell lodged in a corner.)

Hamstrings...Romanian Deadlifts, Good Mornings, Sumo Stiff Leg Deadlifts, Sumo Deadlifts.

Chest...Bench Press, Incline Bench, Dips between Chairs, Pushups, Dumbbell Bench, Dumbbell Inclines, Floor Press.

Triceps...Closegrip Bench, Seated Overhead Barbell Extensions, Skullcrushers, Seated Behind the Head Dumbbell Extensions, Dips.

Biceps...Barbell Curl, Dumbbell Curl, Hammer Curl, Seated BB Curl, Seated DB Curl, Preacher Curl, Concentration Curl.

Shoulders...Standing Military Press, Push Press, Seated Behind the Neck Press, Seated Military Press, Seated Dumbbell Press, Upright Rows, Seated Arnold Press, and - of course - laterals (which I personally do not care for).

Traps...Barbell Shrugs, Power Shrugs, Dumbbell Shrugs, Deadlifts

Quads...Squats, Front Squats, 20-rep squat sets.

I'm sure I missed a few you could do, but that's a good start. Now some things to think about:

A) Most naturals perform better on no more then 3-4 days per week. a 5 day per week split usually just opens the door to frivolous exercises.

B) You can go the full body route, 3 days a week, or stay with a split - push/pull/legs (3 day), or a 4-day split. Fullbody routines tend to be very effective for most guys, but I believe splits are good as long as you use good exercise selection.

c) Workouts shouldn't exceed an hour per day. There is a lot you can do in an hour. I recommend never taking more then 2 minutes between sets unless you are setting up for another exercise, or are dead from something like squats and can't breathe.

You can pretty much put in whatever exercises, and rep/set schemes you want within these parameters, and then - and only if you have time left in the routine - add in isolation movements. generally, for most exercises, 3 sets is enough. For the big exercises like squats and bench, I believe it doesn't hurt to do more simply because you are practicing and building strength on a very key movement for mass.

If you go the fullbody routine route, you will have a lighter day, in which you will use more isolation style movements.

Reps...generally stay around 6-10. You can go higher on legs, but in general most exercises can stay within this range.

Progression...always try for more reps on every set.

Exercise selection...stick with exercises in which you can do progression at home. There's no point in doing an exercise if you're limited by weight.

I hope this helps some.

Start by deciding on a split/fullbody. Then choose exercises you can do in an hour. We'll go from there.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote