View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #25
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Sorry, I can't agree with the idea that you need to be able to squat (or unrack) a certain amount before you're worthy of venturing an opinion.

You don't need to 'earn the right' to express an opinion on a murder, an opera singer, a pizza, or a squat.

Your opinion might be considered less valid based on your experience, but that's a totally different thing. And in any case, I don't think that's true in this case. All you need to make a sound judgement is (a) an understanding of the judging criteria (b) experience of how those criteria are interpreted and (c) an adequate viewing position. It doesn't matter if you can unrack 1200lbs, 500lbs or 23lbs. If validity of opinion was predicated on current lifting ability, a lot of powerlifting judges wouldn't be judges (at least in the UK, where plenty seem to be getting on in years).

And just to add: I don't think anyone in their right mind would argue that the lifter isn't insanely strong, and of course holding 1200 on the shoulders is an incredible feat of stength. Neither of those things have any bearing on whether it's a legitimate squat.
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote