View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I ran box squats for quite a while in past years. The biggest mistake I made was subconsciously opening my stance a little wider than normal. I'm not sure why this occurred, but it did.

I also found that when doing box squats exclusively my form started to change. Obviously this could be from lack of discipline, but I was making every effort to maintain proper form. The changes were gradual, but they did occur. For example, my eccentrics started to slow a bit too much.

Speaking only for myself, I believe I am better off using box squats for speed style work, and keeping all heavy work "box free."

If I had to boil down the differences between box and free squats for me, it would come down to eccentric speed. LTL and I were talking about eccentric speed this morning.

I suffered heavily in the post-box squat days from a very slow eccentric. My squats were stalled and I made zero progress for about a year. Squats became a mental grind for me and my form felt awkward. I hadn't realized that while box squatting my eccentric speed had slowed.

It helps me personally to be more aggressive during eccentrics...more aggressive meaning confident, in control and not overly babying the descent.

Perhaps I was being too much of a wimp when box squatting, and this isn't an issue for others...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote