View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, because that's not my intention, but I spent a lot of time with the pot-smoking, go green, give peace a chance, indy rock crowd while in college. I was actually one of them, as was my girlfriend at the time.

I can only comment on myself...I stood for a lot of things during those years but they weren't intelligently thought out. A lot of my opinions were based on emotions, and quite frankly more than a few were based on the dysfunctional upbringing I had as a child. I had a limited world view, was very cynical, thought all rich people were evil, thought the man was keeping me down, and all that.

I spent a lot of time feeling sorry for myself, and enabling the futility of others. It's ok...you can't help it. You're the product of your environment. You're the victim... Life is sh*t, people are sh*t, big business is sh*t, politicians are sh*t...let's all get together, hug a whale and shake hands with the Middle East. No more oil, save the squirrels, pass the bong and the electric guitar, dude! Tip your glass to Dionysus.

I had the t-shirts, the piercings, the stone and hemp necklace, and everything else that was part of the package. I wanted to rock alternative, laugh at the mainstream, and have someone else cut me some slack. I supported the ACLU, Green Peace, Amnesty International and anything else that made my jobless, slacking, lazy-ass lifestyle of self pity seem important.

Then one day I woke up, realized that hard work can pay off, and that I wanted all the things I used to hate.

Now I am not implying that my story is the same as every member of the Flea Party. I'm not that ignorant, nor do I really care. All I am saying is that when I was in with that crowd, blowing bongs and singing songs was more important to me than actually thinking through concepts.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-17-2011 at 12:24 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote