View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #27
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member
Default Day 6, 16th October (Sunday)

Fuel ...
Breakfast @ 10:00am, milk, oats, whey
Lunch @ 1:00pm, 6 eggs, noodles
Dinner @ 7:30pm, 1 lbs chicken breast, garlic bread

Tried benching and military presses, but the wrist is still as bad as it was a week back. Switched tracks, to dumbbells. I can get the dumbbells in position no problem, and still lift hard holding them with a neutral grip.

Did a couple of sets of shoulder press with 45 lbs DB, 10 reps and a dozen reps on DB bench with 55 lbs. Tried my favorite DB exercise, the French press, but this one's just as bad as the barbell lifts, so I will have to leave this out too.

Not being able to use barbells is disappointing, and took out the disappointment on squats, which was the only meaningful lift of the day. Here's how it went ...

Bar x 20
135 x 10
185 x 5
225 x 3
245 x 1
255 x 6 singles
225 x 3 sets x 3

Well, if the wrist is still to cause trouble, I will have to work around it, systematically and progressively. I haven't done much DB work, may be its a good time to utilize them. So here's what I am thinking for the next few weeks - simply replace the barbell compounds for upper body with the corresponding dumbbell compounds, and hope heavy back squats take care of the lower back in the absence of deadlifts.

I am also thinking that given I wont be able to use as much load with dumbbells as I normally can with barbells, may be it is a good idea to increase the volume quite a bit, same with the frequency.

I am thinking of sticking to the following routine as long as I am unable to use barbells, 3-4 days per week.

Barbell squats - 5 sets x 5 reps
DB shoulder press - 4 sets x 8-10 reps
DB rows - 4 sets x 8-10 reps
DB bench press - 4 sets x 8-10 reps
Seated rows - 4 sets x 8-10 reps

Progression: Add 5 lbs once I reach target reps with each exercise.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote