Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull14 View Post
Abaddon, what kinda reps are you moving and at what intensity? Do the sets you list include warm ups or are they all straight set/same weight/reps; I ask because 8 sets on ME deadlifts may or may not be a good idea. Likewise, I question the effectiveness or purpose of 2 sets on something like the snatch.

Also, how is progression planned on a template like that?
These are good questions, and I am noticing some disparity between the way I train and the way other people train.

All sets listed are considered working sets.. but the definition of 'working' might be different from one person to another.

I used to always train reverse-pyramid style, meaning I would always do my heaviest set first, then 2nd heaviest, and onwards.

Since incorporating more heavy compound work, I've adopted a different method whereby the heaviest set will be performed either at the end of the exercise (as in deads) OR in the middle of the exercise (as in bench; I will build up to my heaviest weight for say the 3rd set, and taper off in sets 4 and 5, dropping the weight and aiming for more reps).

The rep schemes vary according to the exercise; I try to hit 12 reps p/set on the smaller movements and 6-8 reps p/set on the heavy stuff.

I hope this answers your questions?

PS: The snatch was intended as both a warmup/accessory for clean presses and to build explosive strength.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet

Last edited by Abaddon; 10-16-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote