frydaddy
Points: 90, Level: 1 Points: 90, Level: 1 Points: 90, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1st real year
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Bench Press, for now
frydaddy is off to a bad start

Hey, I'm Kenneth.

I grew up as a swimmer and never put focus on working legs. I've lifted weights here and there but never really worked the legs so I am finally seeing why I could never gain weight.

I spent 4 years in the Army, 2 years at ITT Tech, then 5 years working in the oilfield in the Gulf of Mexico. Just got married last October and moved to Austin, TX this year. 1st kid is due October 26th. I started school in May at Austin Community College in May working on a BS in Computer Science. In May I got 2 of Stuart McRoberts books - Beyond Brawn and Weight Training Technique. I've read through Beyond Brawn 3 times now.

The ACC gym has crap hours, so I decided to experiment with working out once a week. The workout has been squat, bench press, lat pulldown, seated overhead press with dumbells and curls at the end, usually preacher. 2-3 sets, 8-10 reps. I had to learn squat from scratch, still learning.

A quick review of progress so far:
5'10"
Weight - 151.5 to 162.8
Squat - Bar only to 115. 5 lbs a week currently
Bench Press - 145 to 190. 2.5 lbs a week
Pulldown - 110 to 152.5. 2.5 lbs a week
Seated dumbell OHP - 80 to 120. 10 lbs every 4 weeks with rep increase per week.

My brother is 5'10" 227.5 as of a month ago. He started getting serious and I helped him with a plan then and he has dropped 5 lbs so far. This weekend I have decided to join his gym and train together as much as possible. I've been scouring the interwebs all weekend studying and searching for the essentials to weightlifting. Muscle and Brawn looks awesome so this is my new home for weightlifting.

Plans are to:
1. Learn to Squat and Deadlift and teach my brother the same.
2. Create a program to focus on Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, Rows, Pulldown, OHP, and abs.
3. Progress, progress, progress
4. Meet my brother in the middle at 190 lbs?!?!!?