Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
But if you think benching multiple times per week - in addition to deadlifting and squatting - I'm all for that. Please keep going with the ideas guys.
Either that or just putting in more volume. When you say '5 sets' you know that's not really 5 sets, that's 1 top set and 4 warm ups! When I'm writing 5 sets down here I mean 5 work sets of the same weight. Warm ups are not counted.

For Press day, say on Monday:

Standing Press, could use the log - 5 singles followed by 5 sets of 5
Cable Row - 5 sets of 5
Close Grip Bench - 5 sets of 5
Cable Shrugs - 5 x 12

Typically if someone wants to get stronger on the Deadlift, I have them Deadlifting a whole lot. For you this might mean this on Tuesday.

Snatch - 5 singles/doubles, gets you warmed up for the Deads
Deadlift - 5 singles
Partial Deadlifts - 5 sets of 5
Front Squat - 5 sets of 5
Heavy Abs - 5 sets of 5

That's a Deadlift workout. If you want to back down the weight and do some rows after that, feel free. But if you work that hard enough, your grip, your hamstrings, upper back and everything will be done. What else could you possible do on that day that wouldn't already be covered?

Then perhaps on Thursday you could do some more Benching.

Bench Press - 5 singles followed by 5 sets of 5 back offs
Cable Rows - 5 sets of 5
Incline or Close Grip - 5 sets of 5
Cable Shrugs (rearward shrugs, they are awesome) - 5 sets of 5

Then go ahead and do your events on Saturday.

Something like that, is much more like it. The basics are emphasised, the accessory work gets done when you have the energy but it's not the focus. Get the volume in.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote