Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Thanks to Steve, I'm just going to post this so I have something I (and others) can alter as we go

ME Lower
Deadlifts 5 sets
Front Box Squats 4 sets
Hamstring Curls 3 sets
Shrugs 3 sets
Static Holds 3 sets

Dynamic Press + Arms
One arm snatch 2 sets
Overhead press 4 sets
Bench variation 4 sets
DB curls 4 sets
Tricep pushdowns 4 sets

Dynamic Pull
Deadlifts 4 sets (light)
Seated row 4 sets
One arm rows 3 sets
Lateral pull downs 4 sets
Face pulls 4 sets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
The idea, at least at the beginning, is to do a hell of a lot of volume on the main lifts. That gets you stronger, quickly and comfortable with the exercises.

EDIT - This is something I see a lot throughout with beginners that come through the 'strength' route. A complete lack of volume in the build up phases. They will typically have decent deadiifts, medicore squats but poor pressing and that pretty much stays the same untill they learn how to put the volume in. For all the good that McRobert/Hardgainer/HIT and whatever else did they did a complete disservice by preaching abbreviated routines right from the off to beginners.

You need to be putting the time in on the basics to get the results you want. Like I said at least 45 minutes of a 90 minute session should be devoted purely to doing set after set of the basic lifts. To that end, there needs to be much more space in your routine for a considerable amount of volume on the lifts you want to improve on.

I'm not angry while typing this, but you asked a question and I've followed your log long enough to care about your progress. Within the years you've been lifting and the bodyweight that you are I'd expect your ceiling of strength to be much higher but you're slowing yourself down with these routines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Ab's I agree with Fazc: too much little stuff and not enough big. 4 sets of triceps pushdowns? Why not close grip bench or another compound movement? Get strong all over but make sure it's relevant to your end goal of SM.
LtL
Ok, ok I get the idea guys.
I discovered a little while ago that pretty much all the benching I do at home is some version of CGBP because my bench is a POS; the uprights are right where my hands should be.

But if you think benching multiple times per week - in addition to deadlifting and squatting - is good then I'm all for that. Please keep going with the ideas guys.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet

Last edited by Abaddon; 10-16-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote