View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #26
xKyle10
Disciple of Casey Butt
Max Brawn
Points: 4,707, Level: 43 Points: 4,707, Level: 43 Points: 4,707, Level: 43
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

xKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I have quite a few conversations like this. Unfortunately they tend to end in a heated manner. But I do believe enough people are listening and educating themselves about natural expectations and goals. It's not about limits to me, but rather about building a proper perspective and quality goals.

Nearly every bodybuilder I talk to is obsessed with weight. They have goal weights for competitions, goal weights for the following year's competitions. Many of them weigh themselves daily and make adjustments off weight.

Many of them have an innate understanding for the gains curve though they are not aware of the data or Casey's work.
I'd imagine that's just something that lifetime natural competitors acquire over the years. Would only take a few offseasons in your mid 30s - 40s to realize that you have pretty much capped your limit, and that also explains why the champs are primarily that age. I also think there is a lot of misconception about retaining mass while prep as opposed to simply not peaking/filling out right. Those who drastically cut their carbs/cals far too low (via law of diminishing returns) or don't eat into/carb up into shows and only allow themselves a 12-14 week prep starting at say 12-14% BF are at a severe disadvantage to guys that know what they are doing and prep 16-20 weeks, starting fairly lean at 10-12% BF. Something also that is probably naturally acquired via age/experience if someone doesn't have a prep coach.
xKyle10 is offline   Reply With Quote