View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystro View Post
If this is true what happens to all the extra protein excreted or stored as fat.
Long term fat storage is dictated primarily by calorie intake. There are other factors at play, such as insulin sensitivity and the slowing of the metabolism. But extra protein is simply not turned into fat. If this were true, high protein, low carb, moderate fat cutting diets, which are a staple of the bodybuilding industry, wouldn't work very well.

There is this notion that anything above this 30 grams every whatever hours is bad for the body, or somehow useless. This is nonsense. The overconsumption of carbs is of far greater concern, as it is not the healthiest, and obviously not the most balanced eating approach.

When we look at macronutrient intake we also have to consider health, and not just scientific studies performed on folks doing leg extensions in a lab. (This is generally what they are, and the scientists rarely understand even the most basic of lifting principles such as beginner gains.)

My take home points are this:

1) Studies are rarely performed on people who train as hard as we do.
2) The overconsumption of carbs, or a very unbalanced diet, has been shown to be potentially unhealthy in the long run.

My advice is to eat a balanced diet rich in protein and fats, and to train hard. If you train hard and eat enough, there is no real need to get overly concerned with the minutea of diet. That's best saved for cutting fat.

There were times when I was 19, doing a 3 on, 1 off training approach, where I was literally eating non-stop all day and growing like a weed. I neither got fat, nor probably ate under 250 grams of protein per day.

A focus on training hard is of utmost importance. Do this, listen to your body and eat accordingly. The body will tell you a lot.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-13-2011 at 08:45 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote