View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #16
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
ok, i think i have no fucking clue what liner progression is.

i thought it was just adding 5 lbs to the bar every workout.....
Yes, you're right. I was talking about 16 week periodization approaches, and not linear progression. I'm a bit tired tonight, so I apologize.

Stalls happen, but very few people top out using linear progression. Sometimes a stall comes from faulty program design, like doing pussy tricep work (excuse the expression) instead of heavy tricep work, or focusing on laterals for shoulders instead of beefy shoulder movements.

When stalls come hardcore from LP, it's time to try new approaches to the same beast - if you want to stick with LP, that is.

There are a billion ways to approach LP. Look at how simple the Hepburn method is.

Some stalls are good for the body. Maybe tendons and ligaments need some time to strengthen before weight can be added. Sometimes strength comes with age. I got insanely strong on the bench at the age of 30 from doing nothing but being older.

My whole point in this is that LP is different for everyone, and can be ridden for a very long time. That doesn't mean we can't switch to Wendlers, Westside, whatever. Play around is good.

For me - (me, and maybe not for you) - LP has always been the best. Honestly, I've not stalled yet using LP if I keep at it. All of my stalls have come from getting away from LP and playing around too much with new routines. Again, some playing is good...but too much tinkering is a surefire way to 'eff up progression.

Pick a horse and ride it for 4-6 months.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote