Old 10-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #483
jp_ottawa
Max Brawn
Points: 3,380, Level: 36 Points: 3,380, Level: 36 Points: 3,380, Level: 36
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: bench press
jp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
Squeeze the bar and pull it apart - This is the one step that always seems oxymoronic to me. Am I misunderstanding something? Are you "squeezing" it with your grip, and then trying to pull the bar apart at the middle as you descend? It seems I get hung up on this, and if I ever consciously dwell on it whilst benching, I lose focus and my form goes wacko.
I try to pull the bar apart with my lats and grip before, during and after the lift. I don't know if Im doing it right, but it seems to help with stability and recruiting the lats into the lift. Also seems to help focus the weight of the bar on the middle of the bench.