View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #14
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalVirago View Post
Isn't this all just variations of building muscle tissue? You can't increase strength without increasing muscle, and you can't bulk without adding muscle. It all comes down to adding muscle. If you're not lifting heavy enough, you're not building muscle. And if you're not building muscle, you might as well just go have a coffee because you're accomplishing nothing.
Yes, I agree with you (sorta). A person can build muscle with low reps and a person can get stronger with higher reps. But it is entirely possible to build strength through efficiency and not gain muscle. I tend to seperate rep ranges according to what I think they favor; ie. low reps and high percentage of 1RM are great for building strength. But the lower reps do not have the same flushing effect as the higher reps. Therefore I think a variety should be used. If you want a one-size-fits-all rep range, I would go with reps in the 6-8 range. The weight would be heavy enough to use a high percentage of your 1RM that is needed for muscle fiber recruitment and allow for enough TUT for effective muscle growth stimulus.

Last edited by Off Road; 10-06-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote