Thread: Wheat Belly
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
I saw the author of this book on one of the morning news show yesterday. It's a very interesting concept/theory/expose or whatever you call it, but I'm becoming skeptical of this sort of thing. For every scientist that publishes their new theories, there are ten others refuting it, and armies of naysayers and/or supporters. What is one expected to believe?
Here are some good books that present neutral looks on the issue:

Amazon.com: Nutrition and Physical Degeneration (9780916764203): Weston A. Price, Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation: Books Amazon.com: Nutrition and Physical Degeneration (9780916764203): Weston A. Price, Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation: Books

Amazon.com: Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health (Vintage) (9781400033461): Gary Taubes: Books Amazon.com: Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health (Vintage) (9781400033461): Gary Taubes: Books

What is one expected to believe? I certainly am not trying to convince anyone that the over-consumption of grain-based carbs is bad. This is a Paleo forum I posted this in, and was for those of us who have researched and believe in Paleo.

In my research the over-consumption of grain-based carbs, and the modern fat fear, has lead our culture down a road that is creating a lot of health issues. Both the books I've listed above do a great job explaining how the modern diet is impacting health.

Regarding wheat...most of the wheat studies I have seen that trumpet the health benefits of whole wheat have compared whole wheat to processed flour, and not to a diet devoid of processed flour.

It goes without saying that obviously wheat is healthier than processed flour, but is it healthier than no flour? That's the question each of us has to ask and live with.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 09-27-2011 at 10:59 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote