View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
I think most people on here know a little about low carbing, paleo etc when trying to cut fat, but if you really upped the calories, could it/would it work for bulking. Or is there a specific reason we need more carbs when trying to gain weight (like the fact they are protein sparing or something like that)..

Just curious...

Carl.
You can certainly bulk on Paleo. Many of the old school lifters ate diets rich in fat and weren't downing rice and various grains heavily throughout the day.

Here's what Doug Hepburn did back in the day:

Quote:
At 18, after his high school years – he wasn’t much of a student – Doug was hired to work on a poultry farm. His compensation was $3.00 a day and all the eggs he could eat. By that time he was already heavily into lifting weights and he weighed 200-plus solid pounds at 5’8 ”. Doug also had a second job, but that position paid only an additional $1.50. So with $4.50 in his pocket every day and al the eggs he could eat, he set up the following mass building diet plan: For breakfast, lunch and dinner he ate 18 eggs and a bunch of bananas, and he drank a half gallon of whole milk. That’s 54 eggs and a gallon and a half of whole milk every 24 hours.
Now granted this isn't strict Paleo, but it's far from a conventional grain-based diet. Paleo isn't anti-carb, but it does dissuade grain and legume use.

My only point is that it can be done. Watch your overall calorie intake.

I get very excited personally about the prospect of folks trying bulks on Paleo using proper calorie intake. I think it has great potential.

I would allow yourself one day a week to eat loosely...to fit in social gatherings and special events.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote